Chased : Chickens

Hello.

As the title is so very self explanatory, I am just going to go ahead and relate this incident.

I usually walk to my pickup points for availing Car Pool services (QR from now). On the way I pass a family that owns a piece of open land, and have a family of hens and a rooster there. One thing leads to another I suppose, and one fine sunny day, I happened to notice about half a dozen of the tiniest, cutest, most adorable looking chicks ever! These weren't coloured like the ones I played with when I was a child. These were also protectively being herded around by the proud mother hen. The rooster was close by, keeping a watchful (or wary) eye. These creatures had taken to pecking on the roadside, and were quite close to me.

Secretly delighted, these were the little fluffs of joy that I looked forward to watching on my dreary walk to the sundry world that we inhabit. After a few days, I conveniently slowed myself down. I kept stealing glances, and mentally picked out a favorite chick of mine. It was black, with just a tuft of cream on it's head. Their cheeps were so heavenly and so cute , I just wanted to scoop them into my palms and softly massage their heads!

I swear, that's ALL I did. Slow down a little. They were across the darned road. In no way was I threatening the happy (sadistic?) family.

The stage was set. The mandatory puddle of water splashed on either sides by a passing bicycle. The hen eyed me suspiciously. You could almost see the pink hearts fluttering around my slow stupid brain.
The hen eyed me. Then she eyed me some more. The tiny chicks picked up on their mother's stress and began cheeping louder. Blissfully unaware, I kept inching forward, on my merry way.

AAAAANNNNDDDD AATTTTTAACCCCKKKHHH!!!!

My first instinct was to scream, but I (with a rare presence of mind) started hobbling in my useless sandals as fast as I could. Watching the hen chasing me, the rooster decided to redeem himself (This is the story of my life. Being the wingman of a bloody bird), and rushed at me as well. By some grace of God, I seemed to have hopped away from the protected territory of this mad family, and they stopped giving chase, and contented themselves with pecking at the damned earth, as though they would find worms in Bangalore, and late in the morning. On an asphalted and recently pothole ridden road.

Now I avert my eyes, and nervously trot through that area, and hope that the parents don't remember me.

PS: I should try posting a bad drawing of this incident - I feel it would do more justice to the scene. 
Until next time,
DragonRider

Comments

Chella said…
This 'scene' is SOOOO WEIRD it could be in an art house Japanese film by an Iranian director that would go on to win the Palme d'Or at the Cannes :P :D
Dragon Rider said…
Wait, nobody else experiences this kind of stuff?? ;) :p

Popular Posts