International Women's Day

Hi !

Disclaimer!  
This post might trigger a lot of people. Those of you who think my views are offensive - please don't read them. Those of you who think I am wrong, please let me know WHY , because I genuinely would like to know your side of the story as well. I do NOT speak about ALL men, simply because not ALL of you are like this

Today is the 8th of March, which is celebrated (?) around the world as International Women's Day. One would think this was also celebrated with the same pomp and eagerness as Valentine's Day. Or maybe Mother's Day. Instead I (personally) have been presented with this counter argument by some men (NOT ALL)  - Why is there no MEN's daaaayyyy? WHHHAAAIII isn't that mentioned or celebrated!!!  wwhhhhaaiiiiiii?? waaiii What is so sssppppeeecciiialll about YOU people to have a WHOLE day dedicated to you!! (they sounded like ridiculous babies that throw tantrums because they haven't been taught better)

And I used to scoff at those people. I thought, it was because every other day in the calendar was International Men's Day! They told me about how the world has wronged THEM - that men ALSO faced problems, did I see THEM whining about it? So I scoffed again, and said, it is also because women aren't treated EQUAL to men, and the world needed a day to recognize that we are people as well (which when you think about is actually the first argument written in different words. Hmmm). 
To which I was immediately - IMMEDIATELY I say - called a feminazi, who doesn't know a thing about the world. We men - I was told  - we men, handle situations that you women, cannot even imagine! We men know the REAL world. What do you know about the struggles we face? What difficult situation have you faced in your pampered life?

My lame counter argument was  - why can't we have a special day? (which is very lame - I know. I hate conflict - I am terrified of it). And I had to leave it at that. This is just sad, because I feel like I have let down all the women I love and look up to. I have let my parents down, who know the history behind it (being born after those life-changing times) and it's importance, and who actually celebrated this day (back when the world knew what it actually stood for, not discounts and FB, whatsapp forwards -  my mother says)

Here's my answer to the men and women (not ALL men and women ) who think this day isn't needed -

As recent as the 1900s (1909-1917  to be precise) Women were not even allowed to vote. Women were not earning as much as their male counterparts (something that is seen even today), and had horrible work conditions. Their place was in the kitchen - unseen and unheard. Domestic violence was an unheard of concept. Women were treated as second class citizens with no rights, no voice in anything that mattered. They faced sexual harassment with no punishments or consequences to their perpetrators. 

International Women's Day is celebrated because Women had to PROTEST. They had to FIGHT for basic rights that we consider as normal today. Our ancestors, people of our gender had to DEMAND that they be seen as equals. They had to REQUEST our male counterparts to be allowed to have a say in how women/people were governed. Women had to take to the streets and be very vocal about how they weren't happy with the life they were leading. 

I hadn't realized the importance of this day before. To me it was a special day for women. Now that I know about the struggles people before me had to go through I feel humbled, and ASHAMED. I feel like I haven't been standing up for women enough. I have not been giving enough thought to it. Now even if I don't feel like arguing with my male friends about why do we need a special Women's Day, I will know what my gender had to go through - even in my own country, where for generations, women have been stepping out of their comfort zones and chasing new dreams, and goals and ambitions. Women I personally know are pushing their limits, and are not taking no for an answer and it makes me see their achievements in a new light - as a collective effort for womankind everywhere. 

That being said - none of these achievements would be possible without the help and support of the near and dear ones of these women. This day is also for those people, who dared to defy societal norms and helped the women in their lives get to where they were. People of both genders have been pivotal to encouraging such women. Men cannot just sit back and be passive supporters. Men were not! Think of all the dads who proudly show off their daughter's achievements, not thinking that she is a GIRL. To them it is their precious child who has made their mark in the world. Think of all the siblings and spouses and friends who stood up for the women in their lives, just because they didn't see them as creatures of some other species, but as one of their own - as people who deserved to be treated as equals. Think of the people of other genders who get angry and protest on our behalf, because they are ALSO sick of all the nonsense we have to deal with. 
International Women's Day is for ALL of those people (of ALL genders) as well!!

I thank all the people who mocked me for feeling happy on Women's Day. I feel like it was their attitude towards this day that has made me ask questions and read about it. I also feel bad that I haven't been able to do much to help and encourage women around me. I hope I change myself in the future.

P was saying she wants to be a source of inspiration. I think all the women in my life have been through their own set of unique struggles to get where they are. Some of these struggles have definitely been gender specific. I would like to say that my mom, P, C, my friends, all of the women in my life who have changed me in small and large ways -  are all a HUGE and constant source of inspiration to me. The people who have supported them are also simply AMAZING.

Just thought you guys should know ;)

Here's wishing all of you a Happy Women's Day!
Thank you for being great sources of inspiration! 
Although I am nowhere near as good as the amazing people I know, I hope someday I also can be a source of inspiration to the people around me.

Until next time,
DragonRider



Comments

Popular Posts