What Do I Wear: Part 2!

 It looks like things might (just MIGHT) be getting back to normal. It dawned on me that I might have to switch my usual sweats and tee for something more ... presentable. 

Of course, this realization was soon replaced with the fact that nothing I owned fit me. 

"DragonRider!" you gasp with horror, "How is this possible? Do you not usually buy clothes about a size larger?"

Why yes, dear Reader, I do. Sadly yours truly has expanded far beyond the reaches of a mere size going up. All those pants barely fit me now! (The realization that I would either lose a button at top speeds or have internal bleeding was a sad one indeed). Anyway, this was a crisis that called for the dreaded "buying new clothes".

As you must all know by now, I hate the idea of having to pick out my own clothes. My joys of discovering online shopping quickly resulted in me buying multiple jumpsuits for which Tats scolded me, "Ye kya harr jagah uniform mein aa jaati hai. I am not meeting you/acknowledging you if you wear a jumpsuit again". Al also mentioned that I seem to be wearing a lot of jumpsuits these days. So I suppose online shopping hasn't really changed much in the clothes department for me. Cue me making my mom sit with me while I doom-scrolled through the various options. (She took an unnaturally excited interest in this activity. I was hoping for a one hour sesh, followed by eating something sweet to help me get back to normal). My mom, sadly, had other ideas. We sat at about 10 am on a Saturday, went all the way till lunch, after which I was so disgusted that I put my foot down. "No more", I told her despairingly, "No more, I can't waste my time this way!"

She decided (this was no more my venture. Clothes had to bought and she would make sure they got bought, whether the person wearing them was interested or not) that we would head to Commercial Street, and find me something suitable. She also insisted my father come. 

The problem with my father is, he picks everything perfectly in one shot. He doesn't like dilly dallying , hates crowds with a passion, and absolutely abhors places like Commercial Street. So of course he was the best choice to take with us. He headed to places like a freight train, didn't let me check out this place that had all the most awesome sneakers (that place was decked like a candy store and he didn't even let us glance) and was basically a huge nuisance to what I consider productive shopping. (It's gazing longingly at impractical things, while looking at my mom sadly, knowing she wouldn't let me buy them)

Anyway, we managed to get something passable, I added things I would never wear anyway(Shrugs are apparently a thing. They are very pretty, but I hardly have anything that goes WITH it), AND I had the added benefit of  seeing my mom get SCANDALIZED by the sheer number of young people wearing crop tops. (Commercial street in the evening has a WHOLE other vibe, it didn't feel tame at all! I wish we had all gone in the evening :( ). 

One would think we were in the biblical end of times with the number of people committing the cardinal sin of wearing something that fit them, of wearing shorts in public and of exposing their midriff (the irony of a saree being the exact same thing somehow never occurred to her). If my mom had a chance, she would have closed her eyes to the horrors and stumbled her way home. As it was, I could hear the constant unhappy muttering of how everyone was dressed and how there was "a time and a place for such things".

Thankfully that traumatic experience behind us, we headed home, where I finally gave into my base cravings and bought new shoes anyway. Practicality be damned! As for my mom, I doubt she would be in any hurry to buy me new clothes, now that I will absolutely insist on heading to Commercial only in the evenings :p . And as for my dad, (him, with the smug look on his annoying face) I am pretty sure he was secretly glad he came because he got to gloat (again) on how awesome he was at picking the right things and how because of him we got home faster.

Until next time!

DragonRider

Comments

Popular Posts