The Paradox of a Sibling

Howdy!

I was blessed (so so blessed) to have been born alone, with no older sibling to annoy me, or hate me, and no younger sibling for me to hate and annoy. I felt loved, which is hard to feel when you have a sibling of any sort. I, however did grow up with cousins. And I honestly felt that was more than I could possibly handle.

You might ask, "Dragon Rider, why on earth are you writing about siblings when you have life changing articles about marriage to write? ". Well the answer lies in an incident that occurred a few days ago. It triggered all the memories I have with my beloved cousins. (They are beloved. If any sibling from another dimension is reading this - the same love wouldn't be extended to you. The reasons are implied and pretty damn obvious, numbskull)

 So, the day was Friday, and I found myself heading home on a trusty BMTC. It was quite early, and the bus quite empty. Two siblings boarded the bus and sat in front of me. The sister was not older than 18. The brother had to have been in middle school. The sister was so calm and composed, while the brother fooled around. This continued for a few minutes, and I gave nothing more than a passing glance to both of them. And then suddenly, I noticed the brother waving the ticket outside the bus window, threatening to drop it. And this, my friends is the problem with siblings in general. Not only do they take away your parents' love for you, but also make every living moment unending misery.

Anyway back to present day - the sister calmly pulled the ticket from the brother's hands and gave him a cold stare (I am a huge fan of cold stares by the way. Feels imperial, it does). She quietly asked him - "What is your problem in life? Are you feeling okay? Or are you slowly going senile?" . And that was sooooo epic. Glad I didn't miss it! The little kid quieted down, and was still quiet when it was time for me to get off and head over to my favorite waffle shop. (Do try the nutella waffles there. It's to die for).

And that, my friends, is one way to handle siblings. I am not sure if my close cousins read this blog. We are close enough to be real siblings, and it wouldn't do for them to read such mean thoughts. But hey, if you are reading this all alone. and feel like you would burst with the immense happiness and tear inducing joy that siblings bring to your life, always remember - cold stares and haughty gestures only work when you are the older one. Otherwise just expect a knock to the head or a kick to the shins. Really the only way to deal with older siblings is to avoid them.

I will probably detail my (mis-?)adventures with my cousins some day.
Until then,
Happy Sunday!
DragonRider

Comments

Good writing.

But it is a paradox. I still can't figure out if I'm better off without one or not. The incident you narrated actually sounds nice to me and I feel miserable about being alone.:P

That being said,I guess the pros and cons balance each other evenly.
Dragon Rider said…
Yeah... Some days you thank your stars that you don't have to put up with the fights. I guess cousins make up for any loss you might feel :D

Popular Posts