What Do I Wear? Part 1 (of Many??)

The other day, P and I were having a debate on clothes women wear. It got me thinking, and here's my metaphorical two cents. (If I had two actual cents to spare everyone, I would consider myself well to do. But I don't. So I am not well to do. Let me just - just- cry in this corner here)

Ok! so now that's dealt with, here's what I think -

I started writing this damned post the night before, running a high fever and I am writing this post a day after I met the doctor. So I have had close to 48 hours to stew about this, and I am going to make this a series! Not sure how many - as the title implies this might have many parts. And this article will have a rant, instead of psychological insights and all that trippy crap!


What triggered me you ask? Well kind lady (sir) , this was a couple sitting at the hospital where I had gone to consult a doctor. (By the way my area is so bad, I literally had to wait for an hour and a half, with a running nose, cough, throat pain, fever, aching limbs, joints etc., and a head ache to boot for a doctor.) So anyway there was this couple who couldn't have been more than 50? And they were speaking Tamil, and I sadly can understand that language?  And that lady seemed to be the one getting treated, however I doubt it could have been very serious, because instead of cooing over the cute children there, and fawning over other people's offspring and bitching about the relatives, this lady decides to launch a tirade about all the kids' moms and what they were wearing. Like lady, life is short, let's move on! but NOOOOO

SHE WILL TALK.
AND GODDAMMIT SHE WILL TALK ABOUT THE CLOTHES THAT LADY WAS WEARING

The lady with the kid who had entered the reception was wearing a jeans and tee shirt. It covered up all the so-called embarrassing stuff pretty well.

So the following conversation is in Tamil. I will translate it, as my friend C has rightly pointed out, I can't spell Tamil in English for saving my own life.

Lady-next-to-me: Look at that woman! She is wearing a jean and tee shirt! I see a lot of girls in this city wearing jeans and tee shirt.
Her-husband-next-to-me: hmmmumhmmmm
Lady: How does anyone allow them to wear a jeans and tee shirt? It starts young I bet. I see a lot of girls who are going to college who wear jeans and tee shirt.(Will you please FOR THE LOVE OF GOD stop saying jeans and tee shirt?) This lady has a child, and she is wearing a jeans and tee shirt. (soooooo.... having a child gives you no human rights?? oh dear! also Will you please FOR THE LOVE OF GOD stop saying jeans and tee shirt?)
Husband: yeah, it's really bad  (he wasn't paying much attention till now)
Lady: How can they allow this. Is this the way it's in Chennai too?(why do I get the feeling you do this so that your husband's fragile ego get's boosted? and indirectly yours too? And since when did Chennai become the center of the frigging universe? What does it matter what it's like in Chennai?)
Husband: (puffing out his chest, like he owns the bloody place) You see in Chennai this will never happen (Yeah buddy, that's why when you go to malls in Chennai{your precious love-child made of 24k gold from the way you talk about it} you see hot babes wearing short shorts and skirts. I mean skirts are way more revealing than denims would ever be. I hate skirts. Also torn jeans that are more torn than jeans) In Chennai, girls know how to behave decently.(wait jeans are indecent?! OMG! you insult your beloved America!) They come here and get spoiled. (So what the mango gets ruined by the 250km journey? Once you pluck her from the tree? What about the carbides you put, that totally destroy any happiness you get from such a mango? HUH? - sorry, just started hating mangoes recently)
Lady: ohhhhooooo (please lady cut the crap. you came to show your knee, and you are wearing a saree. A man you have never seen before is going to stare at your whole leg, due to whole lifting thing you got going. And you are exposing your whole midriff and ah nevermind)
Husband: you see these girls over here, they have no respect. (Uhhhh) It's in Karnataka that they allow this(if this is true then Hallelujah! however, I still know guys who wouldn't let their sisters wear jeans so I doubt our state is that good yet), and Chennai girls see this and also start thinking like them.(ooohhh magic!) It's because of such girls that our girls get spoiled. (Why do I get the feeling that you have sons, and have no clue what it's like to be a human. And what's with the Karnataka hate? I mean, do we go settle down in your city and talk crap about it while we are there? No! that's rude! We come to our city and talk crap about yours from our homes, like normal people.)

By this time I am strongly tempted to turn around and just cough in their faces, so that they would stop talking so much. In the mean time, my mom and dad are just sitting there like zombies and aren't talking to each other. I decide to crack a joke instead of the cough thing (which would have been a lot more entertaining instead of the joke thing now that I think about it) I interrupt the peace and say - so are all the old people who speak Tamil like this or what?! And my dad gets offended for some reason and tells me I am not something very great, and that I was born in this country, so I don't get to speak that way. And my mom tells me off for being rude and speaking to my dad in that tone. Point noted, mother , thy words are ambrosia to my heart! my dearest Father, thee speaketh so true! Thy heritage is unbeknownst to me, a barbarian of the vilest kind!

And then those two people finally left my side, by which time I was madly giggling (it could be because I was feverish and woozy, so you never know). That lady must have mentioned JEANS AND BLOODY TEE SHIRT for the millionth time by then. (Maybe they were talking about weed, and I really don't understand tamil. Who cares)

PS: This topic will have many series because I have the sad foreboding thought that this is what will happen very frequently and very very soon
Until next time,
DragonRider

Comments

So fever heightens thy sarcasm! :P
Remember that day when you said to those dudes "Are you guys going to pout now?"

This article has several such 'burn' moments ;)

On a serious note, you didn't get into what you actually think of women's clothing. Would like to hear more on that.
Dragon Rider said…
Yes, the other parts should have something more than just a rant.

It needs to be given serious thought though. We all have our own biases, and to be honest, we think our biases are right. So in order to be fair, a look at our own existing prejudices are needed?

Will get back, hopefully soon!
True. Rather, we think we're right because we're not even aware of our biases. Yes, we need to introspect and acknowledge them and then attempt to compensate for them in our opinions.

Popular Posts