Cat Conundrum

This is a topic extremely close to my heart. The following events have made me realize that things are certainly not what they seem to be.

I was dozing fitfully at about 3 am in the morning. Work was hectic (as it tends to be) and I was voraciously reading all the amazing stories on Reddit (the nosleep thread!) right before going to bed. All of this tended to make my dreams a strange mix of animals, work not being completed on time and a general feeling of horror.

I usually wake up around 1 am to yell in the general direction of the washroom, to discourage the rat trying to get in through the sink.
This day , in my dreams, I heard a loud bang (like vessels clanging against each other). I woke up groggily and told myself - It's 5 am already, my mom's awake. I tried turning around before she turned on the lights and woke me up completely. I didn't hear her moving around. I didn't pay much attention till I heard it again. This time I opened my eyes, and saw darkness. I did wonder - why would my mom keep banging the same vessel repeatedly? It still didn't register that there was something wrong with the dark.

Finally there was an almighty bang of something falling to the floor. I got up and called out to my mom. Thankfully my father was faster and came right into the kitchen. I followed him. Turns out, it was a cat. The cat was trying to get to the milk. As soon as it heard my dad walking towards the kitchen ,it ran away.

Now, given my history with cats, and given my undying love for them, you would think this was a sign from the universe, that it was finally time to get one of my own and achieve salvation. Sadly, it had the opposite effect.

I walked in terrified that there was another human being in the house, and my brain in it's semi-conscious state took a while to realize what was happening. I was not happy at all. I grumbled about the infernal animal, and glanced at the clock - 3 am. I yelled in frustration and stomped my way to bed and grumpily fell asleep. The following morning, my mom and dad seemed to be in good spirits, laughing about it. But I began to think.

This wasn't the cat's fault. It was a nocturnal creature who liked to hunt at night. As a predator, it had a knack of getting  into places it shouldn't. The cat was just doing normal cat things. Things that I adore, and watch continuously on YouTube. Just because it happened to inconvenience me, I decided the cat had to leave.
And that's when it hit me. Like a glorious ball of hellfire.
 I .... liked sleeping. Cats enjoyed wrecking sleep. I, the DragonRider, who loved cats, couldn't possibly have one inside the house, because that would mean- consciously cleaning , continuous monitoring and child proofing the house multiple times. It would also mean giving up sleep, dealing with broken objects, chewed up cables, poop, fur and ticks. Sure, I would lovingly pet it's fur and play with it, but when left to it's own devices, it would leave no stone unturned in ripping the house apart. (Dear God how I hate cleaning house).

Well no worries, I told myself, I would build it it's very own area outside! It could play, poop, trash that area, and it would be easier to clean! However, I don't think the outdoors is any place for a cat. They tend to get lost and go feral easily. Plus there are all those poor squirrels and birds that cats love to catch and leave for us.

So here I am, faced with the largest dilemma of my pathetic life. Given the choice, would I finally adopt a cat? Or would I take the peace and sanity of watching their antics on YouTube?

This, my friends is true food for thought!!
Excuse me while I think (watch) some more-

Until next time,
DragonRider

Comments

Popular Posts