The Deterioration of My Reading Preferences

It is probably not news to many of you, that I spend most of my time pursuing fantasy. There's something about the surefire way of leaving your current life behind and looking forward to interesting occurrences in someone's short mortal span that is irresistible to me. 


The past month, I have been reading Terry Pratchett's Discworld series in order. It was by the fourth book that I suddenly realized that I had had enough and wanted something better. Adam Grant came to mind. P had gifted me "Give and Take" which felt like new vistas of possibilities in the way we thought were opening up to me. I truly enjoyed that book! (Thanks P) So I wondered if I should get started on an Adam Grant spree for the next couple of months. Sadly, I still don't own a Kindle or any handy e-reader. My mother tried to come (with whatever utensil she happens to find) and separate me and my laptop. 

Reading on my phone has already ruined my eyes. I needed something short, engaging and non-time consuming that I could read on my phone.

I was interested in this story based on Greek Mythology called Lore Olympus. It's a webtoon that's in it's second season. It's a modern twist to the tale of Persephone and Hades. It's a fun , light read that's short owing to the fact that only one episode is uploaded per week. I tried my hand at "The cursed princess club" as well (Which was surprisingly wholesome and too cute for words). I hope the author finishes it, I would have gained a lot of peace reading it in my teenage years where my scarred, painful doughface face was a cause of much angst (I am too old for that now. I just cry and whine about it continuously because I know it's never going to get better. Oh well)

And then this fancy title caught my eye -

"Remarried Empress"

I clicked the link, curious about what would I find. What did it mean "Remarried"? Was her whole might as an Empress determined only by whether she was married? Was it taboo in the story for an Empress to remarry? Who was she marrying? How was this person special? (I admit this is the junk food craving part of me. Some parts want to read interesting stuff and some parts want to find out who is marrying who. Ahem, Anyway...)

This was a rabbit-hole I wish I hadn't fallen into. I was pushed into the hole which begins with the announcement of a divorce. The Emperor finds a slave and brings her home and makes her his concubine. The mistress is the cute anime girl who charms every male character she meets. She is innocent and naïve and childlike (Ew, what's with the pedophilia?) The Empress is a cold, unfeeling lady with a whole job to do while her husband frolics and brings home mistresses. 

But then we are shown that wait- The Empress does feel bad after all! She loves her husband but doesn't show it to maintain decorum. And she is intelligent and independent! She handles the running of the whole Kingdom! The hubby and wife were childhood friends! So while our protagonist is dealing with this heartbreak, the Emperor and his new sidepiece are in heaven. And in comes the handsome Prince who for some reason immediately takes a liking to the Empress. 

Things slowly escalate (80 chapters for the goddamn divorce), and the Emperor ends up divorcing his childhood friend and competent partner for the beautiful, childlike and manipulative mistress.

And then the story continues and ends up with her remarrying the Prince. Anyway while I read what I have just written I cant help but feel horrified at what my choices are reduced to ... I mean... ROMANCE???? (bleeeuuughghghhg) And yet, this story focuses more on each character's reaction to situations the crappy Emperor created. I haven't felt like cheering a character in a romance novel this hard! As I went from disbelief, to rage, to happiness, to triumph I felt satisfied! (Is this what watching a family drama should feel like?) I must say, our protagonist does an admirable job of remaining herself and not changing into a simpering inferior character that exists only to look pretty and cause the men around her to take action. She takes her job seriously - being a  good ruler is something she has always wanted to be. Her morals, and sense of duty don't seem to waver just because people are courting her or divorcing her. 

 She secures her own future, and works even harder to prove herself. I felt quite happy witnessing a woman (and an older one at that) allowing herself to take what she wanted and things like age, beauty, fertility (which is something that came up a lot in the story), purity taking a backseat. Sure they were important, but she was never stopped from doing things that she wanted. It also never stopped the male protagonist from liking her any less. In fact it was her ability as an Empress that made him fall for her.

All of this being said - it still was a romance (bleheueghghgh), and I look forward to the day that I can read normal books on a normal medium like a Kindle. Thank you coming to my TED Talk!

Until next time,
DragonRider 

Comments

Popular Posts