Invictus - farewell Precious

 Precious was my laptop who was with me since Jan 2013. I remember playing Civilization (wondering why on Earth was Gandhi this violent), Halo,  and installing cracked versions of Xilinx ISE and Matlab. (Among many many other cracked versions of softwares and games) 

I watched countless series and movies on Precious. There used to be times where I would be all alone in my room, which would grant me the Godlike freedom to play media using his speaker! (even to this date such times are hard to come by. Earlier, nobody would think anything of me locking my door. Now my mother - and sometimes father - will try the door's handle multiple times before taking offense and banging outright, DEMANDING to know what I'm doing. This is because, what harm could I possibly be doing locking myself in when I was a teenager? No No, I must definitely be plotting the world's demise when I'm an adult! like everyone else!)

Anyway I digress. Precious made me realize I was jinxed when it came to a lot of things in life. About 2 years after I had precious I had grown lax, and decided I could grab the charger while his delicate screen faced me. I managed to crack the screen and there was a dot right at the bottom that expanded with time into a black hole where no light shone through. (redundant, yes). Precious frequently ran into a lot of errors and straight up started failing. The frequent changes to drivers, OSs, partitions , all those cracked versions , frequent disloyalty to antivirus programs probably upset his delicate constitution. 

I finally decided to get the screen changed when I was leaving for college. It would be hard to get anything done at all when the black hole now occupied over 30% of the screen space. 

Things came to a head when I started getting my assignments. He started beeping at random times like he was trying to contact his mommy from outer space. Multiple trips to the repair center revealed nothing in particular was wrong with him. (Why is this not astounding? I should have known he hated me).  I couldn't risk losing all of my work to his tantrums and gave Precious to my brother. Surprisingly (or maybe not) Precious began behaving well as soon as my brother began using him. I guess it was just my presence that offended him. Precious ran for a whole 5 years without a damn problem. He even stayed with me for about a year. Of COURSE the minute I got him, the wifi started getting cranky and the speakers straight up gave up on me. I realized his time was near. Our relationship - just like Gollum's with the Ring - was at an end.   

Anyway. Bye Precious. You were much loved (and hated. much much hated). Thank you for the fun times.

Hello Invictus! (I apologize for the absolute lack of creativity while naming you. The second child is always the afterthought I suppose) 

Until next time,

DragonRider

Comments

Popular Posts