Intelligence and grumpiness

Hello!

Today's post might not be as carefree as the ones I usually post. It's my humble request to you, dear reader, to bear with me.

I had a chance to read Flowers for Algernon (look it up -  it's a great read). It has been a long while since I have read anything at all. And this book was a nice surprise in that it made me think, for a long time after reading it. It talks about how a mentally disabled person is given a chance to become a genius via a surgery, and how he changes after that. I will not reveal anything more, since I couldn't spoil something so beautiful for any of you.

When I first read his progress logs, I was quite irritated. He didn't seem very eloquent. It seemed like a child of 6 was writing out a diary. But when I realized he was mentally disabled, I felt pity. Slowly after the operation, he starts learning, in large bursts, and it becomes a pleasure to read his logs. And the way he describes his memories that he never knew he had, and the emotions he felt, were heart-breaking. And then as he changes in his mind, so does his personality.

He was the lovable fool once. And now, he is cold. He used to be well liked, although cruelly abused by a lot of people. But after the surgery, he realizes that not all people are good. Not everything was rosy. And I think that was what hurt the most (to me). For any human being in this world, to look through the fog, lift the veil of stupid, stupid innocence, and to see our society, our community, our species as a whole, is a terrifying thing. You realize that all isn't well. All was never well.

Some take it in their stride. They say - Alright then, this is our lot in the world, and we shall make it through somehow. Such people, to me, are admirable! And then there are those, who resent the world. They feel like there is nothing here, they are disillusioned. They get depressed.

There are some who feel anger, hate, pain - the whole spectrum of human emotions in all it's glory. They feel like nobody understands what they do, that no one can see things the way they can. Are they right? Is anyone really right? I do not know what to feel. There was a time when I felt hollow inside. Nothing seemed to have any purpose. I guess, I didn't have any time to think about these things for long.

I am not sure if my conclusions right now are true. I  haven't experimented. I haven't recorded results - no research whatsoever. All I know is this - have you seen children? They seem happy for no reason at all. They seem content with everything unfair or wrong that happens to them. Sure they might cry or scream. But once fed, and basic needs looked after, they somehow find a way to be happy. They do not see ill treatment. They do not hold your anger against you.

But then they grow up. They keep growing and slowly become these miserable teenagers who are trying to see through the fog. And then they grow further and become adults. And then they start becoming grumpy. They are harder to please, nothing excites them anymore. Everything is bleak, and some people just shut it down to get through the days, months, years even. Until they are old and withered, and accept their fate, because that is all you can ever do. Accept. And then die.

Yes , then you die.

DragonRider

Comments

Popular Posts