Efforts to Compost

We (me, my mom, and my dad) live in a rented place which has about two-three square feet of open space where some plants grow. As a way of providing more nutrients to the soil, we have been regularly dumping our plant - vegetable/fruit waste into this patch, and have witnessed some pretty flowers, and tomatoes grow here. I also know for a fact that most of our garbage is not to be seen the next day. I always assumed it was some super fast decomposing mechanism, or my dad who turns the soil over, helping it to get absorbed faster.

So, it came as a surprise when recently, I had gone out to put mango peels, and noticed a really huge, dark, black shape shoot across a feet from me. I realized it was the resident rat. That would explain why cats seem to find that specific square feet area of land so attractive. Huh. Anyways, the rat. I went and told my parents about it. They told me they knew of a grey one.

It slowly dawned on me that all the scraps we have been putting out in an effort to make the soil better, was actually helping the rat. Who knows, maybe the rat was not even the lone grey one? Maybe the grey one called over a friend? Or perhaps a lady companion, with its offspring in tow? Maybe our house is built over a huge colony of rats of every shape, size and colour, and that this was just a tiny inkling of what we lived above? Maybe our scraps, which conveniently disappeared every night were the work of this efficient network plotting to overthrow the humans living in the house? Maybe there was the bubonic plague threatening to break out at a moment's notice? Maybe we were all doomed to die, murdered brutally by our rodent residents!

Who knows? I can't sleep now. These thoughts (and many others) will haunt me from now.

Until next time,
DragonRider

Comments

Popular Posts